Friday, October 07, 2005

A Day in the Life of Little Lucy

I spent the day watching my niece Lucy, a charming and precocious two year old. Rachele and I took her down to Kiama to wander around the shops while Rachele had an appointment.

Here is Lucy in the morning, all tidy and nicely dressed to go out.


Here she is eating an ice cream cone. She chose a pink one - she loves the color pink. Notice how her hair is already disheveled.

I tried to tidy her up, then we sat outside the shops watching a lizard climb around in a flower pot.


Here is Lucy after her second ice cream of the day (it is great being an aunt).


I took her home and gave her a bath. She is clean and dressed. Let's see how long that lasts.


Now she is taking care of dolly.

Within the hour, she had taken out all of her hairclips and changed her pants. She loves changing her clothes. Notice how she is wearing pink from head to toe - she's such a girly-girl.


While I'm on the subject of my delightful nieces and nephews, I should tell you a Caleb anecdote. I took him to see "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" a few days ago. Before the movie, we spent close to an hour looking around the shops for the perfect candy bar to eat while watching that movie. I completely agreed with Caleb that a box of chocolates or a bag of gummy worms simply would not work. We eventually each picked out just the right candy bars and went into the movie. We both loved it (it was my third time seeing the movie). It was great listening to Caleb giggle at all the jokes, and his running commentary was pretty cute (that boy never stops talking). When the movie finished, we stood up and were about to walk out of the theater when we noticed a big, gooey brown mess on Caleb's chair. A look of horror crossed his face. He carefully reached out his hand and tentatively scooped some up with his finger and brought it up to his nose. He smiled and let out a big sigh of relief. "Don't worry, it's just chocolate."

No comments: