Monday, November 23, 2015

Day 23: Rachael Willeford, advocate. "Everyone deserves hope!"

PROFILES IN LUNG CANCER
Lung Cancer Awareness Month 2015


Day 23: Rachael Willeford, Lung Cancer Advocate and Co-chair of Lafayette (Louisiana) Free to Breathe
"Everyone deserves hope!"
Twitter: @PollywogPrinces

Rachael, what is your connection to lung cancer?

Four members of my mom's side of the family have died from lung cancer. Two of them were my mom's best friends - her brother and her cousin. They both were ever present in my life. In 2012, I learned that someone had started a fundraiser called Free to Breathe in my town, and I decided to participate. Afterwards, I volunteered on a committee and would eventually become the co-chair of the event a few months later. After I learned that my mom's cousin, (who passed away in 2009,) and her father, (who also passed away from lung cancer in 1978,) had virtually the same survival rate, I dove headfirst into advocacy. I now focus on patient and community education and outreach, locally, with Free to Breathe.
...continue reading...

No comments: