Wednesday, December 13, 2017

I'm In!!!

The past two weeks have consisted of a brain MRI, chest CT scan, countless tubes of blood drawn, urine test, EKG, extensive health history, bone scan, abdomen and pelvis CT, and an eye exam. After seemingly endless doctor's appointments and tests, I have officially been enrolled in the Entrectinib STARTRK-2 trial! My first dose will be on Monday, December 18. The day will begin with a blood draw, then I take my first dose, and then ... they watch me. I have to stay there and be observed for something like 6 hours. Throughout the day they will do more EKGs and blood draws to make sure I am doing okay. If all goes well, they will send me on my way with a month's worth of pills. This is my first clinical trial, and they certainly appear to be high maintenance!

I am in day 5 of the wash out, where I drop my old treatment, Xalkori, and go through a kind of drug cleanse. Day 2 the body aches hit. When I woke up I wasn't sure what was wrong. At first I thought I must have slipped on the ice because all of my muscles hurt. Then I thought I might be coming down with something, until I remembered that the wash out can come with lots of aches and pains. Xalkori had been doing all sorts of things to my body for 4+ years, and now it is going through withdrawal. If you see me doing my "old man" walk, it is because I am very stiff and sore!

My last Xalkori

So now I hope that the new medicine works and that I can tolerate it. I am happily accepting any well-wishes, prayers, good vibes, positive thoughts, chants, whatever you've got!

1 comment:

Kacey said...

That's a lot of appointment. Jeeez, I wonder how you took in all that. But obviously you pulled it off so kudos to you. I hope the results of all those tests can now lead your doctors to the best remedy for your condition. I mean, that what imaging technology is for after all. Wish you the best of luck.

Kacey @ Glendale MRI