Sunday, February 03, 2019

Last Great Hope

When I was first diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer in 2013, the situation was dire. Cancer has spread extensively throughout my body. The only option offered to me for treatment was chemotherapy, a triplet of chemicals which had a 1/3 chance of reducing the cancer, and a 1/3 chance of holding it stable. The last 1/3 was left up to my imagination. Even with treatment, they expected I had about 8 months to live.

Thankfully, fortune smiled upon me and we discovered that my cancer was driven by a ROS1 mutation. This meant that we had a whole new line of attack: we could try to stop the cancer right at the source.

Since November of 2013 I have been taking daily pills that target my ROS1 mutation: Xalkori for 4 years (which worked like a charm, except for a few pesky brain mets, the known weakness of Xalkori). Next were the 11 bumpy months on entrectinib, where slight changes in the brain mets left my doctors scratching their heads after each MRI. Progression vs radiation necrosis, so hard to tell. Then Lorlatinib which didn’t seem to do much of anything.

That brings me to where I am now: TPX. My Last Great Hope.

All of your star-wishing (and a fair bit of persistence) must have worked, because I have secured a spot in the clinical trial! That is, assuming I pass a battery of tests on February 12. And I won’t really believe it until I take the first pill.

I know that I am not completely out of options if this drug fails me, but it brings me to the end of the line for ROS1 targeted drugs. There have been great advances in immunotherapy since my diagnosis, so there are more thing to try. But I’m sure hanging a lot of hope on TPX.

So, wish me luck passing the tests to gain entry to the trial, and then hope it works!

But first - the family is headed to California to make some memories!! Cancer needs to take a back seat for a week. This is family time!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Sending prayers your way, Tori. Will send extra prayers on Feb. 12!

magzilla said...

I can't tell you how inspired I've been by your story. I'm only 3 months into my ROS1+ diagnosis but your experience has made such a difference in my world.

Here's to many progression free years on TPX followed by the next TKI or fresh breakthrough that's surely coming soon - with immunotherapy always in your back pocket.

Thank you for paving the way!

Deb Factor said...

Enjoy that warm California sun! I hope you are near the beach so you can smell the ocean breezes. You are always in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are coming to CA after the series of rain! Not sunny but cloudy and chilly here in S. Cal.
Hope you pass with flying colors on your exams so you can go into trial.
Best wishes.