Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Batten Down the Hatches

I saw my surgeon on Monday and all systems are go for brain surgery on Thursday, October 4.

I’m oscillating between being incredibly nervous and remarkably calm.

Acute recovery will be anywhere from 2-5 days in the hospital, and he estimates 4-8 weeks of slowly rebuilding my strength. His calm demeanor is buoying my optimism; he kept saying this is straight forward and he doesn’t anticipate any problems.

In the mean time, we have been trying to get everything ready at home, for the family, the kiddos, the business. I’ve been feeling a very literal need to get my house in order to prepare for this event. As a fairly behind-the-scenes person, I feel like most of what I do is make sure things keep moving smoothly - like a player in curling, rushing about sweeping a clear path for that granite stone to get where it needs to be.

As the surgery nears and my to-do list gets shorter, the primary thing I need to do is hand over the reins to all the trusted members of my team. A strange and liberating feeling.

Many heartfelt thanks to all the people who have reached out to offer help, meals, prayers, and well wishes. My friend Meriah is organizing all of this through Lotsa Helping Hands, so if you would like to join the “Tomalia Support Team” to learn about practical ways you could help, visit the website and you can learn more (our zip code is 48104).

I will happily accept any thoughts and prayers for strength to me and my family, and for my surgeon to have steady hands and a clear mind on Thursday!

5 comments:

TeacherPatti said...

Here's an assignment when you're half in/half out--next steps for HERsay. How do we get it to go big time? Can you make your spirit sort of float during your recovery? Great! Float on over to HRC or someone famous and she can be our benefactor. Then you are healed up, we can sit back and watch the awesome shows.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

strength to you and your loved ones! good luck.

Lorri said...

Recently,when I thought I was winning,I "somehow" moved to Stage 4. So I threw out all religious hanging symbols...stopped praying. I haven't lookled at these posts in a while but now I'm praying for you. GOD speed.

KP said...

Sounds as though you'll be in good hands. Sending thoughts and prayers for healing.

dearmaizie said...

You've got this, Tori. And we've all got you. You are amazing.