Wednesday, March 19, 2014

What a Joy

It's my birthday!!! I am very excited to say that I turned 38 today. I wasn't sure if I would see this day, but it is here, and it is great.

I've never been one to be ashamed of growing older, but especially now I see each day as a success. I'm still here! I'm still enjoying happy times with my family, soaking up the tiny bit of sun that is starting to warm up our seemingly-never-ending winter, and even dreaming about planting a garden.









Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Don't dread growing old; it is a privilege that not everyone gets to enjoy.

What a joy it would be to grow old
To watch my hair turn gray
To see my face crease and wrinkle
With the fingerprint of time.

What a privilege it would be 
To trade my near-sighted specs for those with a line or two
To shout, "eh, sonny?"
And debate the virtues of denture creams.

How wondrous to watch my skin sag
To be called "Over the Hill"
Or "past my prime"
Or Granny.

What a joy it would be to grow old.

May we all celebrate many more days and years on this earth.

7 comments:

Luna O. said...

Happy Birthday, Tori! I hope you and your beautiful family had a fun day!

Lil-Lytnin said...

Thank you, Luna! We had a great day.

Robin said...

Happy Birthday to you. I wish you many more. Hang in there and keep smiling.

kimmywink said...

I hope it was a wonderful birthday Tori!

Dr G said...

Tori-You are a remarkable woman.I think of you often and will never forget that October day 23+ years ago when we had to sit down and talk about cancer and chemotherapy nor the Xmas episode when we held you hostage in the hospital.
Happy Birthday and many more.

Dr G said...

Tori-You are a remarkable woman.I think of you often and will never forget that October day 23+ years ago when we had to sit down and talk about cancer and chemotherapy nor the Xmas episode when we held you hostage in the hospital.
Happy Birthday and many more.

Dr G said...

Tori-You are a remarkable woman.I think of you often and will never forget that October day 23+ years ago when we had to sit down and talk about cancer and chemotherapy nor the Xmas episode when we held you hostage in the hospital.Your fortitude and joy of life continue to amaze me.
Happy Birthday and many more.