Sunday, May 31, 2009

Economic Collapse = Gardening

The current state of the economy has strengthened my desire to become self-sufficient. As a child, one of my favorite TV shows was "Good Neighbors", which gave a wonderfully romanticized view of living off the land. Possibly the best thing about owning a house is that I now can finally plant a real garden.

I may have gone a bit overboard, but here's what I planted:
- tomatoes
- sweet corn
- sweet tomatoes (cherry tomatoes)
- yukon gold potatoes
- Russian banana potatoes
- sweet potatoes
- ummm... another kind of potato
- bell peppers
- sweet peppers
- kohlrabi
- arugula
- sugar babies (mini watermelon)
- casaba melon
- soybeans
- bush beans
- pole beans
- eggplant
- zucchini
- lettuce
- butternut squash
- brussels sprouts
- broccoli
- yellow onions
- dill
- pesto basil
- red basil
- garlic chives
- oregano
- aloe (not for eating but for burns etc)
- sunflowers (not in the garden, but as part of a living fence)
- marigolds (an attempt to keep bugs out of the garden)

I can't walk outside without gazing at it. What a beautiful sight.


Our house came with a mature apple tree and pear tree so if things go well I will be making all sorts of fruit things to eat all year! Watch out, soon I'll be buying goats and chickens and making a solar-powered generator.... actually that sounds like a great idea!

Thankfully Zander is pretty happy hanging out in the yard watching me work and entertaining himself - for a little while anyway!











1 comment:

David and Melissa said...

Those are some amazing shots of Zander- i love the one with the tongue- haha, he is so funny! Your garden is looking great- it is going to be so much fun watching everything grow this summer.